Have a question about the M5 South-West Motorway?
1. Can I pay cash at a toll booth on the M5 South-West Motorway?
No. There are no cash booths. You have up to 3 days to pay after your trip on a toll road.
2. What is the difference between a tag and a pass?
A tag, like an E-way tag, is an electronic device that attaches to your windscreen. It is linked to an account you keep in credit to pay for your ongoing tolls. A pass is a temporary arrangement to pay a toll, matching images of your number plate to the details on the pass.
3. Do tags that work on the M5 work on other Sydney and Australian toll roads?
Yes. All tags work on all toll roads, bridges and tunnels in Australia. In Sydney tags like the E-way tag can be used on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Tunnel, Eastern Distributor, M2 Motorway, Cross City Tunnel, Lane Cove Tunnel and Westlink M7 as well as the M5 South-West Motorway.
4. Which passes are accepted on the M5 South-West Motorway?
The M5 South-West Motorway accepts passes issued by Roam Tolling, Roam Express and the RMS.
5. Why aren’t there any toll booths?
Cashless tolling provides more efficient traffic flows, with no need to stop and pay the toll or change lanes. It’s safer, and less stopping and starting is quieter for surrounding neighbourhoods and better for the environment.
1. Where is the M5 South-West Motorway?
The M5 South-West Motorway spans 22 km of Sydney's south west from Prestons to Beverly Hills. That's 22km of three to four lane motorway in Sydney without a traffic light!
2. Who owns and operates the M5 South-West Motorway?
The success of the M5 is shared by thousands of Australians through stock and superannuation investments in Interlink’s owners, Transurban, Retail Employees Superannuation, Sunsuper and interests associated with Hastings Funds Management, IMF Investors and the AMP Infrastructure Equity Fund.
It is operated by Interlink Roads Pty Ltd under a lease due to expire in 2026.
3. Why isn't there an east facing entry point at Belmore Road?
There is currently not an economically viable business case for this change. We continue to monitor for ways to improve the M5 South-West Motorway.
1. What is the M5 Cashback Scheme?
It is a NSW Government scheme where trips on the M5, excluding GST, can be claimed for a Cashback for eligible drivers.
2. Who is eligible to claim M5 Cashback?
Under the NSW Government M5 Cashback Scheme you can claim back your M5 tolls (excluding GST) if:
- You are a NSW resident
- You are driving a vehicle registered in NSW for private use, pensioner or charitable use. Trips made using government or business registered vehicles (including vehicles provided as part of a salary package), leased vehicles, rented vehicles, smash repair courtesy vehicles, car dealership loan vehicles, interstate registered vehicles or any other vehicle where business usage is shown on the registration papers, for example 'business general' or 'primary producer' are ineligible
- You have an electronic tag account that is registered for Cashback
- You have paid M5 tolls by using a NSW issued electronic tag
- You have submitted your claim within twelve months of the close of the Cashback quarter. Claims received more than 12 months after the close of each quarter will not be accepted.
3. How can I claim the M5 Cashback
You claim your Cashback every three months by clicking ‘Claim M5 Cashback’ when you are logged in to your tag account (eg. E-way regular account), or by sending a signed form to the RMS. Rebates must be claimed within 12 months of the end of the Cashback quarter.
4. How do I register my tag account for M5 Cashback?
You can select ‘Yes’ to register for Cashback when you open an account, or contact your tag provider to register your existing account for Cashback.
5. Who do I contact with any other Cashback questions?
For additional information about the M5 Cashback scheme, or to enquire about a lodged Cashback rebate, please contact RMS M5 Cashback Office on 1300 133 310 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. What is the Licence Plate Number (LPN) matching fee for?
It covers the costs of visually matching an image of your number plate to your tag account. This costs 55c per trip on the M5 South-West Motorway but it’s only applied for trips:
- With an invalid tag account (ie, account has insufficient funds at the time of travel)
- where the tag was not correctly installed at the time of travel
- without a tag in the vehicle
2. What is the toll notice fee for?
This is the cost to pay a toll via a toll notice if no arrangement was made to pay within 3 days of a trip.
3. I think my tag is faulty. Will I be charged extra fees because my tag has not been working?
Fees may be refunded if your tag is not working and you have taken steps to replace it. Please contact your tag provider.
4. I am using a motorcycle. Will I be charged an LPN matching fee?
No. Motorcyclists are not required to carry a tag and LPN matching fees are waived.
5. Is GST included in M5 South-West Motorway fees?
6. Why is there a fee to pay for a once-off M5 trip?
A $1 fee is charged to cover administration costs if there was no arrangement (such as a tag or a pass) to pay the toll. To avoid paying a fee we recommend an E-way tag account.
1. I have a tag account. Why have I received a toll notice?
You may have received a toll notice because your vehicle registration details have changed or are recorded incorrectly, or there is a problem with your toll account. Please make sure your tag is beeping correctly.
|Tag sound||What it means|
|One beep or 'bleep bleep'||Enough credit|
|Three beeps or short trill||Account balance low - top-up as soon as possible|
|Four beeps||Account has been suspended - you may receive a toll notice - call your tag supplier immediately|
|No sound||There may be a problem, check that your tag is installed according to the instructions provided and if the problem persists contact your tag supplier|
If your tag at any stage does not beep at a toll point you risk receiving a toll notice. To prevent this we are able to match your toll to your toll account using your number plate details.
2. How do I query a toll notice?
Follow the instructions on the toll notice. Note that there may be different instructions for each notice if you have one for more than one toll road.
3. How do I pay a toll notice or late toll?
If you haven’t organised to pay within 3 days of your first trip you will be issued a notice to pay the toll which will include an administration fee of $10 or $20. To pay, follow the instructions on the notice. If you are late paying an M5 South-West Motorway only trip and have not yet received a toll notice click here.
When will the next toll increase be?
The toll adjusts in line with CPI quarterly on 1 January, 1 April, 1 July and 1 October going forward.
Do fees increase as well as the toll price?
No, fees change independently, on an ad hoc basis.
The fee motorways charge to match your number plate to a tolling account or send a toll notice for payment is easily avoided. Simply travel with a tag correctly installed, and keep your toll account payments up to date. Please contact your tag provider for instructions on how to avoid fees based on the type of account you have. Also, listen to the beeps and contact your provider if you don't hear a beep, or hear more than one beep.
How is it fair that heavy vehicles pay more?
Heavy vehicles occupy two or more car spaces on the motorway.
What are the dimensions that classify a vehicle as Class 2 (car) or Class 4 (truck)?
Class 2: Three axle vehicles under 2.0 metres in height or two axle vehicles under 2.8 metres in height
Class 4: All other vehicles